Giving Under Grace
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?
Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Guidelines for Giving Under Grace
- It is to be exercised in a spiritual manner, preceded by the giving of self.
Contribute to the needs of God’s people [sharing in the necessities of the saints]; pursue the practice of hospitality. Romans 12:13
- It is to be done voluntarily and cheerfully.
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7
What Our Giving Does
- It brings honor to God who blessed us with all physical and spiritual blessings.
- It expresses our gratitude to Him.
- It helps meet the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of people everywhere.
- It will demonstrate our faith in God’s ability to provide for us in the future.
It’s only when one gives with a proper motive that it is pleasing to God. The primary motive for giving should be the glory of God. The second is for the welfare of others. Our giving should be made with forethought, regularity, with priority given to the local church where one is being fed spiritually and as the Holy Spirit leads. Divine compensation for faithful stewardship doesn’t guarantee financial prosperity or robust health, but one can have true joy, peace, satisfaction and hope which money can’t buy.